Friday, May 13, 2005

Yay for us!

Rough duty today. Went to the law school's honors and awards brunch this morning to collect an award. I still don't really know what I did, but it comes with $200, so as long as nobody asks, I'll just take the money and be happy with another item for my resume. I know, I know. That's really jaded of me. Hey, at least I went to the brunch.

The coffee was pretty good. The food looked fine, but I've had bad experiences at 'brunch' before, so I was content with my mug o'joe. A friend said to me, "this is like the Academy Awards, but with lower stakes and less attractive people." Indeed.

It was like drive-by awards - we all lined up and the presenters called our names and made statements based on some permutation of "I'm really/very honored/happy/overjoyed to present this award/certificate/check to X because he/she is such a wonderful/hard-working ..." you get the idea. It reminded me of Mad-Libs - you know, that game where you have a story with missing words and you have to fill in the words according to the prompt under the blank (i.e., adverb, verb, noun, pronoun).

It does strike me as a little strange that we get awarded for things we're supposed to be doing anyway.

At any rate, it was fun to see people all dressed up and excited for the recognition. As for me, I'd prefer my own office and uninterrupted time to work on client matters.

Oh, and I'm a rising 3L now. Yay for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home