Saturday, March 25, 2006

And so the pain begins

Today I began 'training' for my 50K charity ride. By training I mean a 20 minute ride just to sort of ease back into riding. I started the winter with the best of intentions, and I even kept up with riding indoors on my stationary trainer for a while but holy...trainers are so boring. I actually read cases for class while riding to prevent my mind from pulling a Homer ("whoo, this sucks, I'm outta here") and leaving my body in a crumpled heap on the floor.

When the trainer got too boring to handle (November), I got some rollers. Big mistake. I'm not that coordinated and I don't know where I ever got the idea that I was. Rollers really aren't that hard to use, but I'm just really that challenged. In case you're wondering what rollers look like or what they are, check out Kreitler's website. They make pretty much the most awesome rollers on the planet, which means I can't afford them. I got a used set of another brand. At any rate, with rollers increasingly not looking like a viable option and the trainer leading me to contemplate drinking while riding, I just sort of let it all slip.

Flash forward to today. I look at the calendar. I have a month and about 14 days to go from riding 0K to riding 50K. I hate riding in the rain, so I probably have about 20-24 training days to get up to 50K. No biggie, but I really gotta get on this.

So today I get the bike out, go for a little ride. It's cold. Grey. Raining. Was that snow? Shit. But you know what? It was a blast. I had a pretty wrong shoulder problem last fall that was making riding pretty unpleasant. Today nothing hurt (except my lungs and my pride). It was actually fun again. I'm going out again tomorrow. Woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home