Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Alive

Well, I downloaded my pre-ordered copy of Pearl Jam's new album. I'm way too tired to listen to it straight through tonight (rule #1 of buying a new album - you MUST listen to it straight through at least once). I did watch the film that came with the album - sort of a documentary short about the band and the new tunes. Pretty cool stuff. Based on the advance singles I've heard thus far, the album should kick a fair amount of ass.

After downloading the album, I got to thinking about the first time I heard "Alive." It was the first time I had heard Pearl Jam, way back on the cusp of the "Seattle" sea change that cleared away the flotsam and jetsam of early nineties sugar-coated crap on the radio. I don't remember where I was, I don't remember what I was doing - all I remember was being in junior high and thinking, "this is the best thing ever." I immediately (and dutifully, I should add) figured out the opening riff and pieced together the chords as best I could. Once I finally earned enough allowance money, I bought the album. Ten is still - for my money anyway - one the high water marks in music.

Anyway, enough nostalgia.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daphne Supergirl said...

Now, you know I love my Eddie V. But...I am also going to have to come to the defense of the early 1990s "sugar-coated crap" you disparage. I realize that Pearl Jam was a godsend for angst-ridden teenage boys with guitars everywhere. But I also know that you know all the words to "Can't Live Without Your (Love and Affection)").

5/02/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Hey, I just downloaded some Slaughter, for cryin' out loud.

I have my cheeseball moments.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Magnificent Bastards, Mother Love Bone, Nirvana, just to name a few, blew the doors off. My musical world expanded like the Big Bang after that, so I guess I have the sentimental attachment to that stuff that you have to the other stuff. I like the other stuff, too, but I ain't the one who sought out Nelson on iTunes.

5/02/2006 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Ismael Tapia II said...

If i might relate an observation i made the other day...

So, i was driving around, listening to some modern rock station, and i realized that 90% of what passes for rock these days sucks a lot of ass. Then, i realized that i had been waiting for the second coming of Nirvana for years - i had been waiting for another band to come out of nowhere and change everything about music for the better.

But then i realized that when that happens (and it will) i'm too old - i won't undertand it. When the next sea change comes, it'll either seem like noise to me or it'll all just flow together to my too-old eyes. Hell, maybe it's already happened, and i completely missed it.

I hate being old.

5/02/2006 11:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely listen to the new album straight through. This one flows fabulously for that. You'll love it, especially some of the lower-key stuff later in the album they haven't released. Glad to see someone else still loves them as much as I do. Enjoy!

5/03/2006 12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home